Llwydcoed   Welfare   AFC   has   been   in   existence since   1931   and   has   always   been   at   the   heart   of the village community life. It   was   formed   out   of   the   mining   community   and   has   always   played   its   full   part   in   village   life not    only    by    encouraging    and    providing    sporting    opportunities    but    by    organizing    and supporting any event through raffles, jumble sales and excursions etc. We   have   always   seen   the   need   to   provide   and   support   any   community   activity   to   enhance people's lives. This   approach   has   helped   us   become   more   successful   than   we   could   ever   have   imagined   so much   so   that   we   are   now   at   a   stage   where   we   have   outgrown   our   facilities   and   desperately need to upgrade them.   The   Club   was   formed   under   the   welfare   name   as   was   the   ground   we   played   in   the Aberdare Valley League winning the championship on consecutive seasons 1953-1955. Gradually   they   moved   into   the   South   Wales Amateur   League   and   we   remained   in   this   league until   1991-1992   season.   After   many   poor   seasons   the   Club   decided   to   move   into   the   newly formed South Wales Senior League. A new league, a new start, a new Secretary David Evans taking over then from Mr Ron James. A   tireless   worker   the   new   Secretary   had   no   idea   what   he   had   let   himself   in   for   only   his   own   outstanding   initiative   work,   drive   and   commitment   plus   a   small   Committee   and   a fantastic   loyal   wife   saw   Llwydcoed   build   a   Club   developing   the   ground,   junior   section,   and   bringing   in   the   right   type   of   management   saw   Llwydcoed   boom   from   a   Club   in   dire straits to a Club full of potential winning the South Wales Senior League, the Intermediate Cup and the Welsh play offs. In particular the 1998/1999 season was outstanding.   The Welsh League arrived and Llwydcoed have driven themselves up the League thanks to the players, sponsors, supporters, committee and management. The     village     was     initially     developed     in     the Tregibbon   area   where,   in   1801,   workers'   housing was     built     by     Thomas     Shencin     Gibbon     of Fforchaman Farm. Other early housing was built at Miner's Row, Founder's Row and Scales Houses. The names of these streets betray their early origins; the Scale family were among the founders of the works and remained partners until 1846.   Red Cow Pub In the second half of the 19th century a new period of growth was instigated by the development of the coal industry in the area. Matthew Wayne Esq. of the Gadlys Ironworks opened the Dyllas Colliery in 1840 and in 1849 Ysguborwen Colliery was sunk by Samuel Thomas and Thomas Joseph. Among the houses built in this period were those at Moriah Place, Horeb Terrace and Grey's Place. Exhibition Row was built in 1851 and was named Exhibition Row in honour of the Great Exhibition held at Crystal Palace that year.   Industry The Aberdare Ironworks were established at Llwydcoed in the early nineteenth century and in 1823 were taken over by Rowland Fothergill. Owenrship later passed to his nephew, Richard.   Eight public houses were open in Llwydcoed at this time. They were The Earl Grey, Fox and Hounds, Red Cow, Corner House, The Mason's, Miner's Arms, the Dynevor Arms and the Croes Bychan. At that time stop tap was midnight and a local essayist recounts the boisterous nature of the revelries. "It is said that more beer was lost (wasted) when the furnaces, coal mines and iron-ore undertakings were being worked, especially at the start of the month, and on pay Saturday night, than is being drunk now." (Unknown Author. 'A Glance at the History of Llwydcoed' Translated by D Williams and D L Davies.)   Government Llwydcoed was one for many years an electoral ward for elections to Glamorgan County Council from 1889 and Aberdare Urban District Council from 1894.   Transport The Vale of Neath Railway mainline from Neath to Merthyr Tydfil arrived in 1853, opening Llwydcoed railway station in the same year. Taken over on grouping by the Great Western Railway in 1923, the line remained open until closure under the British Railways Beeching Axe in 1963.   Landmarks Llwydcoed War Memorial is an obelisk-type war memorial located within the local park. It was unveiled in 1921. St.James' Church Llwydcoed is also known as the Red Church.   Notable people Abraham Matthews, one of the founders of the Welsh settlement in Patagonia was a Minister in Horeb, Llwydcoed chapel before leaving for South America. Stage and screen actor Ioan Gruffudd was born in Llwydcoed. Griffith Rhys Jones aka Caradog worked at the Aberdare Ironworks within Llwydcoed village. There is a statue of Caradog in Victoria Square in the heart of Aberdare. Roy Noble, radio presenter on BBC Radio Wales and BBC Radio Cymru, lives in Llwydcoed. Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable lived in Llwydcoed for a number of years up until his death in 2010. Brass Band For more details about the Llwydcoed Brass Band please click HERE Ironworks For more details about the Aberdare Ironworks please click HERE
Welfare win Senior Cup
OUR HISTORY >>
THE CLUB >>
THE VILLAGE >>
Old railway station
Welcome to the official website of…. AFC LLWYDCOED
#UPPACOED
05
06
09
17
AFC Llwydcoed The Welfare Ground, Merthyr Road, Llwydcoed, Aberdare, CF44 0UT
© Copyright 2019 AFC Llwydcoed. All rights reserved | Privacy Notice
Llwydcoed    Welfare    AFC    has    been    in existence    since    1931    and    has    always been      at      the      heart      of      the      village community life. It   was   formed   out   of   the   mining   community   and   has   always   played   its   full   part   in village   life   not   only   by   encouraging   and   providing   sporting   opportunities   but   by organizing    and    supporting    any    event    through    raffles,    jumble    sales    and excursions etc. We   have   always   seen   the   need   to   provide   and   support   any   community   activity to enhance people's lives. This   approach   has   helped   us   become   more   successful   than   we   could   ever have    imagined    so    much    so    that    we    are    now    at    a    stage    where    we    have outgrown our facilities and desperately need to upgrade them.   The   Club   was   formed   under   the   welfare   name   as   was   the   ground   we   played   in the Aberdare   Valley   League   winning   the   championship   on   consecutive   seasons 1953-1955. Gradually   they   moved   into   the   South   Wales Amateur   League   and   we   remained in   this   league   until   1991-1992   season.   After   many   poor   seasons   the   Club decided to move into the newly formed South Wales Senior League. A   new   league,   a   new   start,   a   new   Secretary   David   Evans   taking   over   then   from Mr Ron James. A   tireless   worker   the   new   Secretary   had   no   idea   what   he   had   let   himself   in   for only   his   own   outstanding   initiative   work,   drive   and   commitment   plus   a   small Committee   and   a   fantastic   loyal   wife   saw   Llwydcoed   build   a   Club   developing the   ground,   junior   section,   and   bringing   in   the   right   type   of   management   saw Llwydcoed   boom   from   a   Club   in   dire   straits   to   a   Club   full   of   potential   winning the South Wales Senior League, the Intermediate Cup and the Welsh play offs. In particular the 1998/1999 season was outstanding.   The   Welsh   League   arrived   and   Llwydcoed   have   driven   themselves   up   the League     thanks     to     the     players,     sponsors,     supporters,     committee     and management. The   village   was   initially   developed   in   the Tregibbon   area   where,   in   1801,   workers' housing    was    built    by    Thomas    Shencin Gibbon of Fforchaman Farm. Other early housing was built at Miner's Row, Founder's Row and Scales Houses. The names of these streets betray their early origins; the Scale family were among the founders of the works and remained partners until 1846.   Red Cow Pub In the second half of the 19th century a new period of growth was instigated by the development of the coal industry in the area. Matthew Wayne Esq. of the Gadlys Ironworks opened the Dyllas Colliery in 1840 and in 1849 Ysguborwen Colliery was sunk by Samuel Thomas and Thomas Joseph. Among the houses built in this period were those at Moriah Place, Horeb Terrace and Grey's Place. Exhibition Row was built in 1851 and was named Exhibition Row in honour of the Great Exhibition held at Crystal Palace that year.   Industry The Aberdare Ironworks were established at Llwydcoed in the early nineteenth century and in 1823 were taken over by Rowland Fothergill. Owenrship later passed to his nephew, Richard.   Eight public houses were open in Llwydcoed at this time. They were The Earl Grey, Fox and Hounds, Red Cow, Corner House, The Mason's, Miner's Arms, the Dynevor Arms and the Croes Bychan. At that time stop tap was midnight and a local essayist recounts the boisterous nature of the revelries. "It is said that more beer was lost (wasted) when the furnaces, coal mines and iron-ore undertakings were being worked, especially at the start of the month, and on pay Saturday night, than is being drunk now." (Unknown Author. 'A Glance at the History of Llwydcoed' Translated by D Williams and D L Davies.)   Government Llwydcoed was one for many years an electoral ward for elections to Glamorgan County Council from 1889 and Aberdare Urban District Council from 1894.   Transport The Vale of Neath Railway mainline from Neath to Merthyr Tydfil arrived in 1853, opening Llwydcoed railway station in the same year. Taken over on grouping by the Great Western Railway in 1923, the line remained open until closure under the British Railways Beeching Axe in 1963.   Landmarks Llwydcoed War Memorial is an obelisk-type war memorial located within the local park. It was unveiled in 1921. St.James' Church Llwydcoed is also known as the Red Church.   Notable people Abraham Matthews, one of the founders of the Welsh settlement in Patagonia was a Minister in Horeb, Llwydcoed chapel before leaving for South America. Stage and screen actor Ioan Gruffudd was born in Llwydcoed. Griffith Rhys Jones aka Caradog worked at the Aberdare Ironworks within Llwydcoed village. There is a statue of Caradog in Victoria Square in the heart of Aberdare. Roy Noble, radio presenter on BBC Radio Wales and BBC Radio Cymru, lives in Llwydcoed. Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable lived in Llwydcoed for a number of years up until his death in 2010. Brass Band For more details about the Llwydcoed Brass Band please click HERE Ironworks For more details about the Aberdare Ironworks please click HERE
Welfare win Senior Cup
OUR HISTORY >>
05
06
09
17
THE CLUB >>
THE VILLAGE >>
Old railway station
Website design by:
#UPPACOED
Welcome to the official website of…. AFC LLWYDCOED
© Copyright 2019 AFC Llwydcoed. All rights reserved | Privacy Notice
AFC Llwydcoed The Welfare Ground, Merthyr Road, Llwydcoed, Aberdare, CF44 0UT